[ExI] AI Translation

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:32:52 UTC 2016

On 20 December 2016 at 18:04, Henrique Moraes Machado  wrote:
> They must be launching it selectively. Portuguese translations still suck.
> See below:
>
> Eram duas caveiras que se amavam. E à meia-noite se encontravam
> Should be something like:
> They were two skulls in love. And at midnight they used to meet
>
> But Google translated it as:
> They were two skulls that were loved each other. And at midnight they were
>
> Which makes no sense at all

On Nov 15, Google Blog said:
Today we’re putting Neural Machine Translation into action with a
total of eight language pairs to and from English and French, German,
Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Turkish. These
represent the native languages of around one-third of the world's
population, covering more than 35% of all Google Translate queries!

So Portuguese should be available now.
Perhaps it just doesn'r like poetic style writing.  :)

I tried translating a business article into Portuguese, then selected
the text and translated it back into English. It seemed to do a good
translation. Try translating a news article.

BillK