[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:44:38 UTC 2016

Hi Stathis,

Hmmm, I'm having troubles understanding what you are saying.  You seem
to be not understanding what I am trying to say as in no place did I
intend to say that any functionally equivalent neurons would behave
differently when they were receiving the same inputs.  I am only saying
that IF the entire comparison systems was one neuron (it would at least
have to have input from all voxal element representing neurons - at the
same time, so it could know how they all compared to one another, all at
the same time.) And if this was the case, and if you swapped this entire
awareness of it all neuron - only then could you swap all the glutamate
producing representations of the strawberry with positive voltage
representations of the strawberry - just as the neural substitution
argument stipulates is required to get the same functionality.  Only
then would it behave the same.  If only any sub part of the comparison
system was substituted, it would not be able to function the same.  The
way it would fail would be different, depending on the type of binding
system used.  A real glutamate sensor will only say all the surface
voxels of the strawberry are all glutimate when it is all represented
with real physical glutamate and a comparison system will only say all
the positive voltages (again representing the same strawberry) are the
same "red" if it knows how to interpret all it's physically different
representations of "red" as if they were red.

I think the problem is, whenever you are replacing discrete individual
small neurons, there is no easy way for it to be aware of whether they
are all qualitatively alike, all at the same time.  If you give to me
any example of some mechanical way that a system can know how to compare
(or better - be aware of) the quality of all the physical
representations at the same time (I'm doing this by making the entire
system be one large neuron) it will be obvious how the neural
substitution will fail to function the same.  If the entire comparison
system is one neuron, when it, along with all glutamate is replaced by
positive voltages, - there would be no failure and it would behave the
same - as demanded by the substitution argument.

Brent