[ExI] he said what????

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 21:00:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 12:17 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > NASDAQ inserts a digital time stamp from the National Institute of
>> Standards
>> > into its financial transactions and then makes a cryptographically
>> secure
>> > hash out of it, that way anyone can prove when a transaction occurred to
>> > within a fraction of a second. Perhaps not too far from now it will be
>> > common practice for cameras, even cell phone cameras, to do something
>> > similar. That way if somebody produces a video of me making silly faces
>> > can produce an older video without the clowning proving it was altered.
>

> ​> ​
> Not sure I understand.  What would prevent the faker from just signing
> their video with the same time stamp (or rather, a hash produced from
> the same time stamp) as the original?

​When I make my non-clowning video I get it timestamped by a trusted party
like
the National Institute of Standards
​ and then I sign the entire thing​
​ myself. After that if somebody altered it the alteration would have a
later timestamp and would be lacking my signature and I could prove which
one was original, or at least more original, I couldn't prove there wasn't
an even earlier version out there somewhere. If you can do it for
financial transactions I don't see why it couldn't be done for video, right
now it would probably be too expensive but it the demand is high the price
would fall.

John K Clark