[ExI] need a new word/suffix

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:52:12 UTC 2016

I used to hate changes in the language back in my conservative days.  I
particularly hated phonetic spelling ("what do the damn Phoenicians have to
do with anything?").  But now I think it's time for massive changes in the
language.  After all, the 'rules' of language should not actually impede
communication, but they do.

​English is becoming the lingua franca of the world, and we need to keep it
that way by changing and adapting.​

Take spelling:  English has a lot of old words still spelled the old way
and it causes problems.  (sough, bough, but tough).  It is a very difficult
language to learn because of it.  We need to make it as easy as possible -
right?  Why not go to complete phonetic spelling?  That's what we see on
Twitter etc., isn't it?  Why should written language be different?  Why not
go all the way and

wrt lk ths - esy to gt, rgt?  Very little if any slowdown even though we
are all imprinted with the old language.  Yes, there are problems with Old
Hebrew and no vowels but we can deal with them.  All it takes is
standardization, such that 'rgt' means right and 'rte' means route.  (This
would do wonders for names as well - think of Polish names and our
inability to pronounce them, like the Duke basketball coach - Krzyzewski,
pronounced Shoeshefsky).

Second, this goes right along with our powerful tendency to shorten, to
elide.  Contractions, gonna gotta shoulda, and the like show that we are
going to be lazy - sorry - be efficient and get our message across as
quickly as possible.

I can see no downside to this, but given this group, I am sure I will hear
of  plenty.

bill w