[ExI] need a new word/suffix

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:37:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:52 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Take spelling:  English has a lot of old words still spelled the old way
> and it causes problems.  (sough, bough, but tough).  It is a very difficult
> language to learn because of it.  We need to make it as easy as possible -
> right?  Why not go to complete phonetic spelling?  That's what we see on
> Twitter etc., isn't it?  Why should written language be different?  Why not
> go all the way and
>
> wrt lk ths - esy to gt, rgt?

Well, for one, that's not close to phonetic. Right should be rite or maybe
riit, using the double-vowel-is-long rule. Writ becomes rit.
Write/right/rite become riit. But you soon get into trouble with phonetic
spelling and standard alphabet--e.g., dipthongs. There is some loss in
spelling all homonyms the same, though. First, the reader has to deduce
which meaning was intended. Second, users lose the natural exposure to
etymology.

In the long, though, arcane spelling will become as obsolete as cursive
writing, or handwriting in general.

-Dave