[ExI] need a new word/suffix

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:23:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 January 2016 at 16:24, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> <snip>
> > WordPerfect had a grammar checker that would tell you such things as
> whether
> > you used the passive voice a lot.  Wonder where that went.
> >

> Wow! You're going way back. The youngsters won't have heard of
> WordPerfect. :)
> Now, WordStar - that was a real word processor!
>
> Grammar checkers still exist, but have a poor record. Without proper
> natural language AI they make many mistakes and often make text much
> worse. They can spot clichés by a simple database lookup.
> Sometimes helpful for people who are learning English as she is spoke.
>
> They are available on the web, e.g.
> http://www.grammarcheck.me/
> http://www.gingersoftware.com/grammarcheck
> http://www.grammarbase.com/

Thanks!!  ​Like many my age I have forgotten how many word processing
prog​​rams I have learned, including Radio Shacks Scripsit (to go with the
8" disks).  Grammar checks are surely wrong a lot, but not to the point of
being worthless​.

Good point about people learning English, but will people bother to learn
other languages when AI gets so good that idioms etc. are easily
translated?  Like the hearing aid things people in scifi stories wear.
That can't be too far off, eh?

bill w