[ExI] paranoia risk

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 00:31:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 4:04 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *>…* *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] paranoia risk
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 8:43 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> Do you know of people playing Paranoia Risk, or clubs?  Are there online
> groups playing?
>

> >…http://www.conquerclub.com/ - they call it "Assassin" mode.  (They've
> got all kinds of other variants too.)
>

> OK cool.  Is there a mode you know of where you can get six good anonymous
> players, such that none of the players know who the other five are, one
> turn per day, set up so that the betting public can watch the moves but
> cannot contact the players?

Everything except "cannot contact the players".  Everyone on there is IDed
by handle only, so by default they're anonymous to one another.  The
standard rules are that each player has 24 hours from the time it becomes
their turn to play their turn, and Simultaneous mode means that it's
everyone's turn at once (so play order is entirely determined by when
people log on and play); this isn't literally "one turn per day" because
it's the next turn as soon as everyone's done, but probably close enough.

However...there is no known way, short of extensive intrusion into the
players' offline lives, to prevent a human player from having a confederate
(or alternate identity) among the betting public.  That is simply not
within the realm of theoretical capability, given people and Web sites as
they are today.  (Note that "short of": one can imagine a police state
operating around such a game, and there have been stories written about
societies similar to that, but that is not the world we live in today.)

Question 2:  Could we write software to play assassin mode Risk?

Yes.  Conquer Club in fact has written bots to play Risk in many modes; I
forget if they specifically are capable of doing Assassin mode, but the
proof of concept is close enough.  If the players are not people, then the
scheme you envision could perhaps be done...but that also removes a lot of
the attraction from the betting public.  (Seriously: two people rolling
dice against each other draws more audience than two identically programmed
robots rolling dice against each other.)