[ExI] New prime number found

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jan 20 18:37:29 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:53 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] New prime number found

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/01/20/the-newest-prime-number-is-more-than-22-million-digits-long/

 >… John K Clark

John, you could have given us the entire number expressed in binary.  But I suppose 8 thousand pages of nothing but 1s would be boring.  I would counter-propose expressing it in hex, so it would be a couple hundred pages of Fs.

Cool thanks for the heads up.  I heard when it was discovered but with a number that size it really is important to wait for a verification.  The discovery came on the 20th anniversary of GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search.