[ExI] greatest date in history

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:29:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Freedom of speech and assembly covers a lot of ground, you can never list
> all the things you can do with those freedoms and I don't think religious
> speech is more important than other types of speech and if you have freedom
> of speech you can use it to petition the Government for a redress of
> grievances, so they shouldn't have been specifically mentioned.  ​

Keep in mind the times when it was written.  One could, back then, conceive
of a government that took such petitions as the equivalent of shouting
"Fire!" in a crowded theater: speech intended to be dangerous, and thus not
falling under free speech protections.  Likewise, just because a
state-sponsored religion hasn't been established does not itself prevent
laws against practicing certain forms of religion (which amount to an end
run to establish one, without technically establishing one).