[ExI] What are among the world's most important problems to solve, why?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:22:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>
>> Superintelligence: high, moderate, high: 18
>

> Maybe my own sub-super intelligence is the problem, but I don't understand
> why superintelligence is considered important. AI/singularity fans seem to
> consider it practically a superpower, but I think it's overrated. Am I
> wrong?
>

> In practical terms, then of it as a super-problem-solver. You have it (or
> them) and if they are benign you can much more easily solve much of the
> other problems. Or so the story goes.

Are the most intelligent people the best problem solvers? Above average IQ,
how much does intelligence help solve problems? Seems like other factors
like curiosity, persistence, knowledge, creativity, charisma, etc., play
significant roles in solving real-world problems, but we don't ponder
supercreative AIs or fear supercharismatic AIs (which we probably should,
if such a thing is possible).

-Dave