[ExI] Cosmopolitanism, collective epistemology and other issues

Anders anders at aleph.se
Fri Jul 15 17:24:43 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-15 17:38, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> David Brin suggested that the unique aspect of Western culture was not
> just fascination by other cultures (that can be found elsewhere) but a
> deeply ingrained idea that other cultures might have figured out
> things we haven't, might have better solutions we ought to pick up on,
> or that we need to reinvent ourselves to avoid being bad.  anders
>
> Speaking only for the USA, yes, we are fascinated by other cultures
> and often, very often, we assume that they are better than we are at
> certain things.  ...
>
> I don't know that Anders is correct re science and technology, or form
> of government.  I think we think that we have the best there.  I also
> very much doubt that most of us feel inferior in the moral department
> (being bad).

You think too small. Think western culture, where US culture is one of
the offshoots.

Most cultures have been a bit curious about exotic things - upper class
Romans threw around Greek quotes to show their erudition, and paid
fortunes for silk and other products from near-mythical Sinica. But they
would never have entertained the thought that those cultures had
anything to teach them in statemanship: Romans were the best, manifesto.
Same thing over in China: lots of myths about the exotic Occident, but
there is nothing truly important to learn from it. Sure, some cool art
and tech, but living like *them*?! Outrageous! The Romans would
completely have agreed. So would nearly all societies across time and
space.

Brin's excellent essay can be read here:
http://www.davidbrin.com/dogmaofotherness.html
His claim is that there is a set of interlocking beliefs and behaviors
in our culture. One is that there must be no dogmas. Another that no
expert can know all the answers. The Dogma of Otherness insists that all
voices deserve a hearing, that all points of view have something of
value to offer.

He claims it might be a liberal Western, even American doctrine. I think
it goes deeper; Brin suggests that maybe the Copernican principle of
mediocrity might have been the start, but Bruno got there first in a
way. He argues that the otherness doctrine came as a reaction to the
religious, mechanistic and romantic worldviews, which I think is half
right - it became so powerful thanks to their failures. Yet it builds on
a base of skepticism and universalism going back to the Greeks (humans
are social animals with a common nature) and Christianity (and they have
the same kind of souls - all the rest is contingent), the
renaissance/enlightenment/liberal discovery that people in different
cultures actually thought differently and that different life projects
could be valid (and should be protected).

Note that this is not a claim that every western person believes certain
things. Rather, it is a claim that there are certain ideas that are as
pervasive in our world as machismo or reverence for the family in other
cultures. We don't notice it because we are embedded in it (although it
is notable that western culture invented professional anthropology to
study other cultures, and then began to turn the critical
anthropological eye on itself).

Note the link to our kind of cosmopolitanism: an interest in exploring
and interacting with the Other (not just other cultures these days, but
nature and maybe also different mental states), the willingness to see
if the Other has something of value or can show that we are wrong about
something. This in turn requires tolerance and open societies: without
them it is not possible to actually meet the Other or update ones own
society in the light of the new information.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute