[ExI] I Miss The King of Extropia

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:54:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:43 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

​> ​
>> Without debt Silicon Valley wouldn't exist, even renaissance Italy
>> wouldn't have existed without its banks.
>

> ​> ​
> OK - but when a company gets very large, say like  GE, they can finance
> their own R and D without having to issue stocks

​GE stockholders are the people who own GE. Who would you rather own the
company than the stockholders?

​> ​
> or bonds.  True?

​It doesn't matter what I think, all I know is that the capitalists at GE
issued 39 billion dollars of debt just last September.​

> ​> ​
> In cases like this I see no advantage to debt.

​A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow and you can borrow a
dollar today at a lower interest rate than at any other time in the history
of the USA, so I can sure think of a advantage to debt.  ​

​ John K Clark​