[ExI] Case A-2643

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jul 23 21:36:50 UTC 2016

This makes a great deal of sense if one abandons the "try to keep tissue
naturally revivable" approach and goes for "preserve information well,
darn the viability" approach.

What drugs open the BBB? A cursory scan didn't show me anything. Using
ultrasound to do it might be somewhat risky and likely is too focal.

On 2016-07-23 17:32, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> I finally got to read my May-June copy of Cryonics, and I found an
> interesting update on the case of Kim Suozzi. It appears that the
> initial estimates of poor or negligible cryoprotectant perfusion were
> incorrect and based on a reanalysis of CT images with calibrated data
> the actual perfusion was quite good, if not perfect.
>
> The interesting part is that apparently good perfusion was achieved
> with minimal brain dehydration, as judged by lack of shrinkage. The
> update theorizes that this may have been due to an opening of the
> blood-brain barrier, possibly caused by the combination of neoplasm
> (brain tumor) and 1 hour of warm ischemia before perfusion.
>
> This observation opens a fascinating research opportunity - if it is
> true that an opening of the blood-brain barrier allows vitrification
> without dehydration-related shrinkage, then it may be useful to
> intentionally open the BBB before perfusion. Lack of shrinkage in a
> vitrified tissue may make it easier to perform scanning for uploading,
> and perhaps might prevent some loss of information.
>
> There are drugs that open the BBB, which is not useful for most cases
> of cryopreservation but they might allow easy testing of the idea in
> animals. If benefits of BBB opening were to be confirmed in animals,
> then other techniques could be developed for use in patients, for
> example ultrasound-assisted BBB disruption.
>
> More research is needed.
>
> Rafał

Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute