[ExI] DeepMind wins Game1 in Go championship Match

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:12:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:39 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I see this as encouraging however.  It indicates to me that everything we
> think of as intelligence has some kind of algorithm behind it, and that the
> algorithm can be discovered.  If not, something that works in place of
> whatever our brains are doing is discoverable.

If all you want is a system that can play chess or go, that's clearly
doable. But these are more simulated intelligence than artificial
intelligence. Produce a system that can be taught any game the way a human
learns it, and can learn to play it well via playing and studying the game,
and *that* will be AI. It doesn't have to be a terribly complex game, and
the level of play doesn't have to equal human masters: just the general
ability to learn a game and improve its play will be tremendously more
impressive than DeepMind.

-Dave