[ExI] DeepMind wins third Go game and the championship

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:00:02 UTC 2016

> Ja, what I had in mind is machine-designed advertisement.  That is a ways
> off, but consider that most annoying internet ad, the one that starts out
> with Ten…Nine…Eight…  and so forth, oy vey.  It was funny the first time,
> but I have suffered it perhaps 50 times and I still don’t know what they
> were selling.  Energy drinks?  Which one?  Fail.
>
> OK so imagine we still are forced to view ads for content, but someone
> figures out a way to make a new clever ad each time.  Hell if someone took
> all the SuperBowl ads and put them end to end with no football or
> advertising in it…  Wait, back up…  Took all the Superbowl ads and cut out
> all the football, I would probably view that just for fun.
>
> If someone created a good ad-bot, I would probably view that.
>
> spike

​Unless something monumental is happening, I watch no live TV.  For sports,
I record everything, and I know who wins before I watch it.  Then I just
erase it if I don't care to watch that person or team winning.  Not that I
care much anymore who wins anything.  My alma moter, U of Alabama, has won
four of the last five, I think, nat'l championships and I just can't seem
to get excited about it.  (As per our discussions a while back, if Odysseus
were alive today he'd be playing pro ball, not raiding villages.)

As for ads, why watch any of them?  Fast forward.  I notice that what is
being advertised has nothing whatsoever to do with what I buy (have not
bought a new car since 1968).  They are not losing any money on me by my
not watching the ads.

 I did invent a little scheme around 1974 where I noted which ads I really
liked and was impressed by,  (
when I was thinking of moving into marketing
​)​
 and followed those stocks.  There was some good correlations there.  Not a
bad plan at all for buying stocks - better than monkeys and darts.  I would
now be rich if I had had the money to invest.  Supporting two wives and
three kids will eat a professor's check pdq.

  bill w​