[ExI] personal

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:03:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM, William Flynn Wallace <
> foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Are there things that some of you older people are using to check your
>> status?  I know that there are millions of brain teasers and puzzles and
>> web sites and so on devoted to these things and I don't use them - maybe I
>> should.
>>

> I use an Android app called Elevate, also available for iPhones, to do
> various brain-training exercises. It tracks your history in each type of
> exercise. I don't know if it's effective for maintaining mental acuity or
> monitoring it, but it's fun enough that I look forward to playing, and I
> just use the free version. If you pay a monthly fee you can play more games.
>
> -Dave

​Thanks Dave...

Spike - when I was young I learned chess; or rather I didn't.  I learned
the moves and played against Mama and usually won.  When a cousin moved to
town they said we had to play.  We played two games which I lost - not
fool's mate, but close.  Turns out he was the junior chess champion of DC.
Ha!  I gave up the game.  To really learn it, I learned, took memorizing
hundreds of games and positions and being able to recognize them on the
board.  Too much for me.  Not only do I memorize poorly but I just did not
care for the game that much.  It took really professional dedication.  So I
learned bridge and got fairly up in those standings and then met people who
routinely memorized everyone's hands, so they knew who held what (with high
probability) with a few cards left to play​.  Couldn't do that, or maybe
did not want to spend that much energy on it.  So I wound up playing old
ladies who never bid No Trump because they were afraid of not having trumps!

I"ll have you know that my wife, who is only 63, and I know a lot of those
old movies.  She still watches them.  I have come to a peculiar (can I do
otherwise?) attitude towards actors:  they are people who are famous for
pretending to be other people.  Huh?  Yeah.  We have no idea who or what
they really are.

Excuse if I've used this before:  one guy told me his dad quit loving John
Wayne because he learned that he did not do his own stunts, wore a wig, and
whose real name was Marion Morrison.  Kinda scary, isn't it, that people
get so involved in fantasy that that conflate the actor with the character?

As for memorizing current movie directors and all the other crap they use
in crosswords, I give you a big Bronx
cheer....BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

My answer to those ridiculous clues:  cheat.

bill w