[ExI] personal

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 16 21:49:39 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
…

>>…such as “Fred Estaire” and “Elizabeth Taylor” and” Doris Day” and “John Wayne” and such as that.  No one alive today has actually ever seen the movies…

>…I"ll have you know that my wife, who is only 63, and I know a lot of those old movies.  She still watches them…

As do I.  If I manage to gather the patience for a movie, good chance it was made before I was born.  Doris Day is the most talented, gorgeous, funny, drop dead sexy, beautiful actress I have ever seen, and I am a huge fan of her.  She could sing, dance, act, real-time interactive comedy, oh what a talent.  She still lives over in Monterey.  A couple years ago she got herself painted up and made a public appearance at the local SPCA event, looking as good as a 91 yr old could ever hope to.  Those songs she made in the old days, oh how sexy, my my.

>… I have come to a peculiar (can I do otherwise?) attitude towards actors:  they are people who are famous for pretending to be other people.  Huh?  Yeah.  We have no idea who or what they really are…

I always thought it would be funny to get two well-known one-character types and have them switch personas.  Example get John Wayne and Paul Lynd, then have Wayne play a really flowery effeminate type, and make Lynd play the macho man role.  It would be hilarious, but ruin both of their legacies.

Clint Eastwood did a self-parody of his own characters in a sense with the comedy Bronco Billy.  Al Pachino seldom did the lighter stuff but he did it well in the hilarious oddball sci-fi comedy S1m0ne.  That one had a lot of Hollywood self-parody in there with Winona Ryder playing herself: a prima donna actress trying to compete with a simulated actress.  It even included engineer sight-gags.  Most hilarious.