[ExI] quote of the day - power

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Mar 26 16:49:04 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:30 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] quote of the day - power

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 8:27 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

What I want is for some of you smart software guys who grok both genders to make for us a Geordi visor with a setting that takes any image, translates it into whatever women see when they look at that same scene.  While we do that, I want a special pair of headphones which translates incoming sound into what women are hearing.

>…Most of that just doesn't translate into visual/audio signals…There is one major exception: assuming strict heterosexual (the majority case), just genderswap every human seen.  Mostly-nude male pole dancers, pandering to an audience of leering women…

OK do explain this then Adrian.  Imagine if you haven’t ever seen it, a pole dancer of the usual gender (female.)  Now do the same with the Chippendale’s show with male strippers.  I haven’t attended the latter, but I have the former.  Those two shows are received far differently, and it is most puzzling.  The men at the pole dancer show look up occasionally, stuff bills in the performers’ few remaining garments, but are mostly indifferent.  There you see guys talking to each other about sports (the kind that involves cars and orbs, discussions that have nothing to do with what is happening on the stage.)

In stark contrast, the female audience of a male stripper show and cheering wildly and carrying on (as depicted in Hollywood movies, I don’t actually know if it works that way IRL or if it is a Hollywood gross exaggeration (anyone here know?))  The ladies are engaged, participating.

So why the difference?  If the entire audience put on the gender-switch visors, then the female audience watched a female performer, and the male audience watched the Chippendale’s, how would each act?  Why?  Such a puzzling asymmetry, I don’t understand it.

Then what if… we had gender-swapping visors and we gave them to people who had been raised in cultures where women’s feelings and women’s ideas were disregarded?  What would that be like?

Or what if you could make the visors culture-swapping or religion-swapping?

The next thing I will suggest follows logically: we don’t yet have gender-swapping or culture-swapping visors, but we have literature.  We take our best guess at how to explain to someone from another viewpoint what it feels like in here in our minds.  We know it doesn’t work all that well.

I know I am edging dangerously close to a fruitless qualia discussion, oy vey.