[ExI] Loyalty schemes (was: Re: bitcoin used for nefarious purposes)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 17:54:27 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:05 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote
>
>> ("Loyalty programs?  Repeat customer discounts?  That's so much work.  You
>> get here, buy your stuff, and get out.  We stock stuff that's in demand
>> and
>> sell it to you.  Easy, honest money.")
>>

> That's also my perspective as a customer. So who benefits from these
> irksome schemes? Not me, the customer, not the business, but someone must.
> Who?  Why do these schemes exist?

The business actually does...in theory.  If I sell at $10 something that
costs me $8, but I can get you to buy three of them for $9 instead of just
one, I have made $3 instead of $2.  Alternately, if I give you a tenth one
for free after you've bought nine at $10, when you would otherwise have
bought maybe two, I get $10 profit instead of $4, and you get the
satisfaction of having "earned" "free" stuff (notice the quotes: some
people really do get that joy even if what actually happened isn't that).
If you buy these on separate visits, maybe once a week, that doesn't change
the end result.

But this requires accounting and marketing.  Some people who own businesses
are too lazy (or busy with other concerns) for that.