[ExI] experiment: decreased investment in individual memes...

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:33:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 March 2016 at 15:17, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> <snip>
> > If lives are truly at stake, and you could make a good case that they
> were,
> > then that takes precedence over changing the programming.  I do think a
> > federal judge should handle this type of thing.
> >
> > So unless I hear from someone about the programming, then I 'll stick to
> > this:  public need to know trumps (sorry) private companies' needs or
> wants.
> >

> There are many factors in this case, most not mentioned in the court case.
>
> Apple probably could break into the phone, but it wouldn't end there.
> When everyone has a smartphone this would mean a continuous stream of
> requests to break into phones and Apple would have to set up a whole
> department to process the requests. And it wouldn't just be the FBI
> making requests. Other agencies would 'need' access. IRS, TSA, even
> local cops. Foreign governments also. China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.
> would join in, putting citizens lives at risk.
>
> The same would apply if back-door access was built in to the phone.
> Everybody would expect access if required. Customers would not trust
> their phone to be private.
>
> Apple is also thinking years ahead. They see a future where customers
> use their phone for *everything*.
> They want to replace credit cards, money, passport, keys, maps,
> camera, etc. If your phone is going to contain your whole life then it
> has to be believed to be secure. Otherwise people won't buy into this
> future.
>
> BillK

​OK, let's not force Apple or anyone else to do that.  But it can be done
because the FBI found someone to do it.  Thus if China or Russian criminals
really want to break into your device, it can be done without the maker's
help.
​

​All a hacker needs to know is that it can be done and, with time, he can
do it, right?  Maybe you could make it so difficult that it takes a
supercomputer to hack it.  Few have access to one of those.​
​
My solution:  put everything in the cloud and make whoever runs the cloud
responsible, the way we do for our Visa cards when someone runs up a tab on
ours.  Happened to me - cost me nothing.  Five minutes of inconvenience.  I
would favor discontinuing using Social Security numbers for anything except
Medicare and IRS etc.

How would y'all feel about just changing all passwords etc. daily and
> automatically by someone like Lastpass?  Then the onl
> ​y password we'd need is for Lastpass.  You would not need to know the
> changes yourself, but could log in and find out.

​bill w​