[ExI] segregation forever!!

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 03:54:04 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> ### Well, stopping welfare would assure there is no TV for those who don't
> work.... The poor might actually think before having children... They might
> learn to humbly ask for a job rather than angrily demand handouts...
> Knowing that there is no welfare might induce some of them to value
> schooling as a way of earning access to a job... And ending the war on
> drugs might leave them no option but to make themselves useful...

That is a nice fantasy, but that's not the way they think.  If they're
starving *RIGHT NOW* there's no time or energy for education...but there is
to steal bread.  Assuming they do not wind up in the alternate welfare
known as prison (or dead from an armed merchant, or etc.), they see what
works and keep doing it.

Also, not having had education, most of them are incapable of the kind of
long-term deductive reasoning that goes, "I need money therefore I need job
therefore I need education".  Besides, many of them think they can't get a
job even if they were educated; to convince them otherwise would require
education, even if forced upon them.