[ExI] nuclear... winter? summer?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 5 01:05:36 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
…

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 6:01 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

​>>… ​We could start a discussion on what kinds of strategies could be used for construction of bomb shelters

​>…That and trading recipes for nice rat stew might be far more useful than talking about Nanotechnology or Cryonics or AI …​John K Clark​

These matters are irrelevant if technologically advanced civilization perishes in nuclear winter.

If we accept that there is a net cooling at the surface of the planet from particulate scattering energy, then perhaps we could compensate by cracking oil into methane and venting.  Methane is such an excellent greenhouse gas, we may need it if we experience cooling from dust high in the atmosphere.

We might even be able to come up with some first-order estimates on this: how much oil or coal would be needed to compensate, and for how long.