[ExI] nuclear... winter? summer?

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sun Nov 6 01:38:28 UTC 2016

         :
>Has anyone here followed nuclear winter models?

Not recently. But the original 1983 TTAPS (Turco, Toon, Ackerman,
Pollack, and Sagan) paper was bad science. The scenario was
unrealistic, the modeling was simplistic, and it appears that it was
basically a no-nukes propaganda exercise. I was at LLNL then, and our
atmospheric modeling group demolished their paper.

(That same group was given exclusive use of all the main computer
center's Crays to model the radioactive cloud from Chernobyl two
years later. Their work went to Reagan, who used it to force the
Soviets to acknowledge the extent of the disaster and to provide
warning to the countries in the cloud's path.)

-- David.