[ExI] mutual assured injury

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 6 01:50:47 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders
.
Subject: Re: [ExI] mutual assured injury

>.The main effect is cooling in modern climate models. The Toon and Robock
models typically use 5 Tg of black carbon for regional nuclear conflicts
(remember, Pakistan and India are shooting at each other too, regardless of
Trump) and 150 Tg for full-scale wars. Presumably there would be about the
same order of magnitude or more CO2. Current carbon emissions are on the
order of 10 Pg per year - a factor of 66 or so.
.

>.Overall Robock seems to be the one to follow in regards to models. There
is not much competition in the nuclear climate model field - most
researchers seem to think these models are not academically interesting, so
they do not work on them. I have been working behind the scenes to change it
(muhahaha), but I have a feeling that I might have to learn how to do
climate codes myself to get it done properly. Anders

My intuition is that somehow the overall impact would need to be cooling in
the short run, net warming in the long run.  Reasoning: soot in the upper
atmosphere (the remains of USA and Russia) would decrease albedo so in the
long run would absorb more solar energy while blocking solar energy to the
surface in the short run.

I am looking into the bovine models.  We are told that cow farts are
introducing huge amounts of methane into the atmosphere, and that corn-fed
cows create way more methane than grass-fed.  My intuition drives me to
conclude that we could create enormous vats in which we mimic whatever
reaction is taking place inside cows, convert corn to methane directly, use
that to greenhouse our way over the cold decade after we nuke ourselves.

Wouldn't that work?