[ExI] The very first question the press should ask Trump

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 02:32:57 UTC 2016

When I watch or read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I always listen very
closely to the "Wave" speech. If you're familiar with the work, you know
what I'm talking about. It's a poignant meditation by a man who had devoted
his entire identity to a movement, a movement that was going to change the
world, and then watched it all fade away.

When I think back to the Extropian and transhumanism movements as they were
in the 90's, when I joined this list, and think about what's happened since
then, It almost fills me with joy.

Because we won! Mostly anyways. The weirdo out-there ideas we used to throw
around are now pretty much most people's every day. Millions of people
today used voice recognition on the pocket computers they carry everywhere
to ask a huge network of data centers to query terabyte databases to tell
them where would be a good place to go to lunch. Said database company,
btw, just made an AI that plays Go better than any human. Cryptocurrency is
a significant concern to the financial elites of the world. Billionarire
entreprenuers [who incidentally are pursuing reasonably credible plans to
singlehandedly colonize Mars] speak casually of the world being a computer
simulation, and not only do their stock prices not crash, it makes no
ripple at all! People just say "Yep, may be."

Ok, so diamond-phase nanotechnology could be a bit further ahead, and true
morphological freedom (as opposed to extremely effective medical protheses)
may not be on most people's ethical radars yet, but we're definitely
getting there.

I was the techy weirdo because, in 2001, I was the only person in the
building with cellular internet in 1999. Now I'm the weirdo because I'm
almost the only person in my workplace's building /without/ a smartphone.

Transhumanism and Extropianism didn't fade away, or burn out. They turned
into everyone's background normal. The future we saw has begun to arrive,
and it is still coming.