[ExI] suggested design for self-driving car

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 14 03:55:38 UTC 2016

This would be the thing, ja?  Start with this design, whack off that silly
useless Aardvark nose, keep everything aft of the seat:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/11/10/pink-panthermobi
le

These things will sell like hotcakes if engineers can make them fun and
comfortable.  You don't even need much of an engine really.  Any modest
four-banger will do, turned sideways and driving the front wheels, with a
really sincere muffler (pay the weight penalty for a lot of quiet) in order
to make a great sound system in there.

I have a better sound system in my car than I do in my house.  If not
better, at least I have more time to listen to my CDs with fewer
distractions than I do at home.  (Ja I know: CDs! spike you primitive
savage!)  If we had self-drivers, we could make something like the Pleasure
Capsule, great sound system, computer screen, that sorta thing, voice
command to the car, audio feedback with location info if you want it.

Think about it: automotive design hasn't really changed much in the last
couple decades.  Self-drivers open up a whole nuther pile of fun problems
and opportunities.  I am already thinking of the edges of the envelope: the
lowest cost, the highest luxury, forget highest speed (self drivers aren't
for the impatient) the design best suited for people with special medical
needs (with a toilet in there for instance) or a design with radiation
shielding for those anticipating nuclear warfare or the best design for lots
of kids, and so on.

Cool!