[ExI] The last chance to stop Trump

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 07:07:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> But consider the consequences of what you suggest. In the best case,
> it would end the US as a confederation of autonomous and partly
> sovereign states, which seems a nightmare scenario to me.

I fail to see how this is the best case outcome of the electoral college
breaking from tradition.  If Clinton gets elected...Clinton gets elected,
and (again, in the best case) the 50 United States treat this as legal.

In the worse
> case, it would start a civil war (a real war with guns, not words, a
> war where people get physically killed, not psychologically offended).
> That is, of course, even more nightmarish.

This is possible.  So is civil war if Trump remains in office.  Many things
are possible, and I can imagine even worse cases than a conventional civil
war with death tolls in the millions.  (For example, Trump gives the order
to deploy nuclear weapons upon the rebels...and when the various nuclear
weapon stations decide to vote with their nukes, the outcome sets an
entirely new high bar for "a damaging, fiercely contested election".)