[ExI] Off for now

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 15 21:26:44 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

>…Spike: we are now losing members because the political talk went past the election, and there is now no end in sight.

I request an immediate, complete ban on discussion of the US political system …

No ifs, ands, or buts.  No excuses.  Stop it now, man.

Thy wish be granted, my son.

Please my fellow ExI-chat members, we see we have lost the guy I consider the most valuable player, posts always filled with good stuff, insights, calculations.  We know it has been traumatic, and we know we will pay for what we have done, but it is done now.  Let it go, get back to the reason this list is here: technology!  Science!  Transhumanism!  A positive outlook on the future (if you can manage it (I can (can you?  (thought so (good!)))))

If anyone is tempted to squawk about some headline, I do urge we form a subgroup on that specific topic or an ExI-politics group.  We have done that in the past; in fact some of the really most interesting discussions I saw over the years were to be found in a subgroup, such as the one we formed when the transparency/openness debate was going on here and Natasha asked us to take it outside.  We did.  Unfortunately a lot of interesting stuff, such as Julian Assange’s comments, are not in the archives and I didn’t keep any of it.  There were about a dozen guys in that, the usual suspects which included me most of the time, Robert Bradbury who has died, I think Lee Corbin was in there, died recently, Mike Lorrey has his own group, Eugen Leitl who wrote some really interesting stuff, a big transparency opponent, has gone to DarkNet last I heard.  There might be no one left from those days, about 2000, damn.

We had other specialized subgroups.  If someone wants to set up a Reddit, I will join it, not as moderator.

I request please, let us stop the US politics before we lose more highly valued contributors.  I hope Anders will come back eventually or will check in once something big happens.

As friendly neighborhood omnipotent dictatorial ExI-chat moderator, I ask please: no more.  Let it go.

Thanks!