[ExI] cool article by shostak

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 01:30:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> I agree with the logic of this article, but there's something missing.Yeah
> - it's the rest of what it means to be human: emotions and feelings and
> smells and tastes

​That's not what makes us human, other creatures on this planet have been
able to feel and smell and taste for at least ​500 million years, they've
behaved as if they had emotions too. It's intelligence that distinguishes
us from the other animals and makes us human.

> ​> ​
> Would I give up those things for a higher IQ?  What do you think?

​I see no reason you couldn't have both.​

> ​> ​
> If you would, you are as cold as the machines referred to in the article.

​I think it would be easier, far easier, for us to make a emotional machine
​that a intelligent, certainly Evolution found that to be the case.

​John K Clark​