[ExI] cool article by shostak

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:15:59 UTC 2016

 It's intelligence that distinguishes us from the other animals and makes
us human.   John

It's a very fine line.  I like this analogy:  suppose a frog whose ability
to jump is limited to 5 inches, vertically.  Then that frog is put at the
bottom of a staircase in which each step is 6 inches.  Another frog who can
jump 6 inches can go all the way to the top.

So what looks like a huge qualitative difference between these two frogs is
really a very small quantitative difference.

Very fine line between us and apes.

Is intelligence really just a quantitative thing, or are dozens of
qualitative processes there too?  Emotions can vary quantitatively but the
biggest feature of them is qualitative - anger is different from anxiety,
for example.

I wish I knew enough about AI to understand how they are going to program
qualitative states into a computer.

I wish someone knew enough about animal emotions for us to compare us to
them.

It would seem that emotions are a much more fuzzy topic than intelligence,
but perhaps our definitions of intelligence just are too limited to
appreciate the nonquantitative aspects of it.

I am not trying to define what a human is, or just how we differ from lower
animals.  I don't think we know enough for that yet.

bill w