[ExI] Demonstration of Bell's Inequality

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:01:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> Treating them as being able to produce 8 (as in 2^3) combinations only
> ​ ​
> works if the 3 properties are independent,

​Exactly. Maybe they aren't really independent, maybe there is some sort of
 faster ​than light non-local effect that is undiminished by distance or
time going on; or maybe it's backward causality, the photon was born a
billion light years away a billion years before I was born, but maybe even
then it knew how I was going to set my detector and that someday it would
interact with it. The point is no local hidden variables (like a lookup
table that the particle can see but that for one reason or another we are
unable to) can explain the experimental results.

> ​> ​
> Also, this math doesn't work out.

​Yes it does. The math works out fine it's just that when we perform the
experiment the physics won't cooperate.

> ​> ​
> If you know one ball is red and
> ​ ​
> therefore the other is blue, there are 4 combinations the other ball
> ​ ​
> could be, 2 of which include "heavy".  So the chance is 2 in 4, not 2
> ​​
> ​​
> in 8.

​The question is "what is the chance that the other package contains a
heavy ball?". Y
ou X-rayed your package so you know for a fact that the ball in it is red,
so you also know for a fact that the ball in the other package is blue. You
also know that there are 8 different types of balls:

1) Red heavy radioactive
2) Red light radioactive
3) Red heavy non-radioactive
4) Red light non-radioactive
5) Blue heavy radioactive
6) Blue light radioactive
7) Blue heavy non-radioactive
8) Blue light non-radioactive
​

If the ball in the other package is ​
heavy there are 2 and only 2 ways that could be:

1) The ball could be blue heavy and radioactive.
Or
2)
The ball could be blue heavy and
​non-​
radioactive
​.

That's 2 chances in 8 or 1 in 4. And yet experiment tells us the correct
answer is 1 chance in 3. And that's just weird.

 John K Clark