[ExI] question for libertarians

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Oct 22 18:15:04 UTC 2016

William Flynn Wallace asked:
> OK, the opt in or out example is over, so try these:
>
> Here's  another nudge:  put a photo with human eyes, or even just a picture
> of eyes in the coffee room and you'll get a lot more donations to the
> coffee fund.  Just the implied observation of others is enough to
> significantly change people.  Is this OK?
>
> Here's another:  "Over 90% of Minnesotans have filed their taxes for this
> year" proved the winner over several other nudges in getting people to
> file.  Others included threats.  Just going along with others is
> rewarding.  OK?
>
> Here's another:  Don't Mess With Texas (road sign all over the state) -
> national winner slogan.  Lowered the littering the best of all nudges.

The problem with these studies that show detectable effects from subtle
nudges is that there's no way to spin a consistent story about what
consequences they would have in the real world, where we're surrounded
by prompts, intentional and unintended, pushing us in all directions.

This points back to the "replication crisis" in psychology and other
social sciences. Similar studies have shown consequences from watchful
eyes, reminders about youth or old age, consequences of smoking,
benefits of charity, reminders to respect authority or the military, or
just plain patriotic or team-oriented symbols. ("blue is calming for
men, except in places where it's the color of a major sports team.")

In the real world, we're surrounded by art, advertising, muzak,
architecture, co-workers with diverse opinions, movies, and on and on.
How can anyone expect a photo of the president or an actress in the
coffee room to have an impact on just one thing? And if there's a
Dilbert cartoon on someone's office door as you walk to the coffee room,
will that negate it or reinforce it? What if you just voted, or
discussed politics the previous evening with friends?

I don't believe the studies have significant consequences for the real
world. It's fine to post reminders to try to influence people. More
nudges in more different directions leaves people to decide for
themselves, it doesn't force them to act in any particular way (unless
one agent is in complete control of the environment.)

Chris
  --
Computers are telescopes we use to see the infosphere.
Some care about telescopes, most want to see the stars.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://www.pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com