[ExI] If you follow the developments with Tabby's star . .

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 19:26:39 UTC 2016

On Sep 16, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Anders <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
>> On 2016-09-14 21:24, spike wrote:
>> Help us John Clark and Anders wan Kenobi!
>
> Obi-Wan: [Pointing to a spot in the star hologram] This is where it ought to be, but it isn't. Gravity is pulling all the stars in this area inward to this spot. There should be a star here, but there isn't.
> Yoda: Most interesting. Gravity's silhouette remains, but the star and all its planets have disappeared. How can this be?
>
> OK, in this case we don't have gravity measurements - if we had microlensing things would be way clearer. And I doubt anybody has seen anything using the radial velocity method.

Might it be possible to do some stuff with data-driven methods? I mean something like sample a lot of sky and then look for anomalous star positions from what the overall picture looks like, then do another pass on each one found. This could involve just positions alone -- not radial velocities. Someone's probably already thought of this or why it can't work. I'm sure it would give many false positives.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst