[ExI] The Bomb verses a Email server

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:47:24 UTC 2016

On Sep 18, 2016, at 12:19 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given foreign opinion of Trump as a big negative, if he is elected he will not be a world leader in anything.  If anything, other countries will go the opposite way, and that's assuming he has any backers in his own party, much less the Dems.  There would be three way gridlock among Repubs, tea party, and Dems.
> We will lose a lot of prestige worldwide if Trump wins.
I'm trying to understand why the prestige of the US political and military elites is so important? I'm not so sure those innocent foreigners harmed by the policies of those elites worry as much about US prestige. How many lives, especially innocent foreign lives, is US prestige worth?

On another note: if Daryl Press is right, prestige matters far less than the actual ability to project power. Press studied the rise of Germany during the 01930s and shows that the German elite were NOT worried about French and British prestige so much as French and British (and other) military forces. He makes a strong case for this in his _Calculating Credibility_.

The above doesn't mean I want or lock forward to a Trump presidency. (Shouldn't need saying.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst