[ExI] right to try bill

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Sep 24 14:29:35 UTC 2016

Subject: Re: [ExI] right to try bill

>>… Making somebody live when they want to die as as great a injustice as making somebody die when they want to live…. John K Clark

>…Is there anything more basic to libertarianism than the idea that no one owns your body …

The problem with assisted suicide is that it is sometimes unclear how willing was the victim.  Perhaps the 2 August demise of Shawn Lucas was assisted suicide.  Even Snopes doesn’t know.

>…I hope this finishes off the discussion and we can get back to Spike's idea…bill w

The discussion can (and often does) branch.  No worries.  The following will be on the standardized database for health notion.

I have been pondering this and have some ideas.  We know that someone has figured out how to create and manage databases which must contain multiple terabytes of data, since the file size of the genome measured by 23&Me times the number of customers is way into the TBs, not even taking into account all the user-supplied data.  That database starts in the TBs and grows from there.  Yet somehow 23’s software is able to deal with it all.

OK so here’s an idea.

The first 64 bits can be a unique identifier assigned by chronological order that the person is entered.  Then the next standard length fields contain stuff like name (at birth), DoB, DoD (if applicable), gender at birth, all that stuff usually found.  Then we need an indicator of start of genome data (if it exists) with the next several MB are all genome data.  The newest version of AncestryDNA (those 100 dollar spit kits) generate a DNA file of 24 MB (oy vey) so we immediately have a big problem here as you can see, for AncestryDNA’s database passed 2 million users last summer and is growing at a rate of 1% per week (cool!  (but challenging!))

OK so we are already at 50TB just with the AncestryDNA people alone.  But… somehow AncestryDNA and 23&me are dealing with the problem.

After we get the user unique identifier data in there (somehow (help us Data wan Kenobi (I know not diddley about handling big data))) we can create a catalog of all known human ailments.  Something like that must already exist, ja?  We would have a reference list somewhere in which each known human ailment has a 16 bit code (medics, are there more than 64K known human ailments?  (OK make it a 32 bit field.))  Then we have some kind of special command such as FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF which means go to the ailment catalog (remember when you were a kid and you had such a fun dreaming while looking thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog in the toy section?  (This catalog would kinda the opposite of that.))  OK so now we have a huge database with genome and a description of an ailment, perhaps with standardized fields for when it was diagnosed, by whom, how severe and all the stuff you need to know for how severe this genome’s hemorrhoids are for instance, and on it would go about that particular ailment until it sees the next FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF.

As I wrote this, it occurred to me that my thinking is now where Anne Wojcicki’s must have been about 5 years before 23&Me ever even happened.  We are reinventing the wheel already developed by Mrs. Google.  This problem is just bigger than me.  I need some help from those who already know how the heck to design huge interactive databases, oy vey.  I am not programmer, just a country rocket scientist.