[ExI] right to try bill

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 01:37:48 UTC 2016

On 27 September 2016 at 10:47, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On
> …*
>

> >>… When the people fear the government there is tyranny.  When the
> government fears the people there is liberty.
>
> >…The possibility that civilians may have guns wouldn't deter the
> government from sending police and soldiers out to subdue them, if that's
> what they wanted to do…--  Stathis Papaioannou
>

> They want to, I can assure you.  The reason the government doesn’t send
> police and soldiers to subdue the people is that if they tried that, then
> they are no longer the government. That’s why the constitution is designed
> the way it is: should the government violate our rights, it isn’t the
> government anymore.  Ours is a government of the people, by the people, and
> for the people.  The soldiers and police are on our side.

That's the case everywhere: if the government is brutal enough, the people,
including soldiers and police, might rebel. This is regardless of whether
there is a formal constitution or not; nations like the UK and New Zealand
do OK without one, while many others uch as the Soviet Union, have
fine-sounding constitutions which don't seem to help. But the point I
wanted to make was that citizens bearing arms is NOT a deterrent to
tyrrany. If anything, it gives the police an excuse to shoot them, as we
are actually seeing.

--
Stathis Papaioannou