[ExI] Shadows and the concept of self

Giulio Prisco giulioprisco at protonmail.ch
Sat Apr 1 06:37:01 UTC 2017

Hi John. When Richard and I wrote this essay in 2005, Everett's was my favorite interpretation of quantum mechanics. Now I'm not so sure.

However, today I wouldn't change much of what I wrote. In particular, I still think that "while Everett‘s Relative State formulation of quantum mechanics makes a lot of sense, its popular interpretation as “Many Worlds” (MWI) should be taken only as a simple pictorial device useful for a first understanding of the theory... perhaps since reality is One Big World too complex for our minds to process efficiently, we use a simplified representation as Many (small) Worlds for our processing."

In other words, thinking of splitting and recombining worlds is a simplified way to describe a reality that is much more complex than our concept of "world." Many Minds comes closer, but it's still a simplification - I think the many minds are shadows of One Mind. Having now studied Everett's original papers and those of DeWitt, Wheeler's etc., I suspect Everett himself wouldn't disagree.

Decoherence seems to explain why we don't see [alive + dead] superpositions of cats, but it doesn't provide a mechanism for the selection of [alive] or [dead]. In fact, decoherence pioneers like Zeh and Zurek seem to support Everett's views.

I am writing a new essay with thoughts on my interpretation of Everett's interpretations, with plenty of links. In the meantime, I recommend reading Peter Byrne's biography:
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-many-worlds-of-hugh-everett-iii-9780199552276

--
Giulio Prisco
https://giulioprisco.com/