[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 21:13:10 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​> ​
> when I lived in Washington state, we had Canadians who came to the US for
> cancer treatment in particular.
>
> ​I think you're grasping at straws. Canada has a population of 35 million,
the USA has a population of 320 million, I don't see how the tiny
 ​percentage of Canadians that come to the USA for health could have any
significant effect on the mortality statistics of either country.

​> ​
> John how did you think they distribute medical care in countries where the
> government pays?

​Well.... I think they
distribute medical care
​
better than the way the  USA does because the end result is they pay less
and live longer. ​

> ​>
> You should get to know some Canadians, particularly ones who have come to
> the USA for medical treatments.

​
That would not be easy to do because they are pretty rare, in 2014 only
52,000 Canadians came to the USA for treatment,
​ ​
and
​ nearly all of them were for
non-critical
​​
non-life threatening issues
​, and there is a waiting list for things like that. So yes, if you have
lots of money and want a
nose job
​s you'd be better off in the USA, but I know in the 1990s 60,000 people
who claimed to be Canadians and got free healthcare as a  result were later
found to be from the USA; I'll bet the number is larger today. That's
illegal but medical tourism is not and lots of people travel to New Zealand
because surgical procedures there only cost 15% to 20% what the same thing
does in the USA.

  John K Clark