[ExI] probably extremely simple physics problem

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 8 01:54:18 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace

>…I seem to recall some notable physicist in the 1800s saying that heavier-than-air flight was impossible…

Wouldn’t it be fun: a learned 1800s physicist is in the process of saying that heavier than air flight is impossible, right when a gull flies over and drops a load on his head.

>…BTY - I remember Connections and its sequel (???) very well and loved them, but for a history of science that is that interesting I dunno any others.  Do you?...

The sequel is called The Day the Universe Changed.  Both mini-series were excellent.

>…Anybody?  Connections was not like a complete textbook and probably would be dull if it were…bill w

BillW, I have both books, and both are excellent.  Burke stayed fairly close to the script when he made the TV series.  I think of them as Britain’s answer to Sagan’s Cosmos.