[ExI] evolution

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 00:56:24 UTC 2017

spike wrote    we may find that most beasts use tools in some way, and
many of them make tools.
​There is a problem here with interpretation.  If a person, aka human, used
a tool, he must have learned it somehow, watching, experimenting - aka
learning either from others or just from messing around.  I think that
anyone who has worked on cars has invented a tool, perhaps using two
different tools to do a job.

The examples you gave of tool use were all instincts - aka not learned.
The thing about people is their adaptability.  We can create tools or use
tools for something other than their intended purpose.  Animals - aka other
animals - tend to do the same thing over and over, and the behavior does
not vary much at all from one individual to another.

For you to show that animals do use tools in much the same way we do,
you'll have to show changes in their instinctive behaviors and I don't
think you can do that.  A spider won't build a different web if the one she
has stays empty.  And the tool use will have to be relatively unique -
unlike other individuals of that species.

So show me learning to use tools and I'll be happy with that.

bill w

​