[ExI] evolution

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 11 01:46:42 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] evolution

spike wrote    we may find that most beasts use tools in some way, and

many of them make tools.

​>…There is a problem here with interpretation.  If a person, aka human, used a tool, he must have learned it somehow, watching, experimenting - aka learning either from others or just from messing around…

So show me learning to use tools and I'll be happy with that.

bill w

​

I don’t have a reference, but the chimps might be our best bet: the mother chimps show their offspring how to make a termite catching stick by choosing a long straight twig and stripping the leaves.  Some chimps never learn how to do that.  Jared Diamond (I think he was the one) observed that chimps seem to learn that skill easier than humans do.