[ExI] found it!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 00:35:48 UTC 2017

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:08 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​>​
>  if that flux is high enough and we find ways to tweak Collar’s
> instrument, perhaps we can create a mobile neutrino detector.
>
> ​His detector only weighs ​
32 lbs
​ so it should be easy to put a thousand ​of them on even the smallest navy
ship, and then it would be a thousand times as sensitive.

> ​> ​
> Going from memory, Pu239 has a half life of about 90 yrs,
>
>Actually it's 24,100 years for Pu-239 and for U-235, the working material
of most nuclear reactors
​,​
it's 700 million years. And you can't really compare a decay process with
fission. When Pu-239 decays after 24,100
​years ​
it just transforms into slightly lighter U-235, but when it undergoes
fission it's much more dramatic, it splits roughly in half producing much
lighter elements like Barium and Krypton and produces far more energy and
neutrinos than a mere decay.
​
So a reactor that isn't operating isn't going to produce a lot of
neutrinos; it would make some but probably about a million times less than
when its on.

> ​> ​
> figure a subcritical fissile core is about, I don’t know, 20kg?
>
> ​In a bomb it's 11 kg at
​
Plutonium's
​
normal density but less than half of that if you cleverly shape the
chemical explosives around the Plutonium so it compress the Plutonium
​
sphere to more than normal density. The critical mass can also be reduced
by surrounding the sphere with a beryllium neutron reflector.
​
With North Korea in the news this fact has been on my mind lately.

If you want to make a really big and really hot fission bomb, the sort
needed for the detonator of a fusion H-bomb
​,​
you're also going to need U-235 too because it has a much higher critical
mass of 52 kg. The idea is
​to ​
have a hollow sphere of U-235 (stuffed with Lithium Deuteride if you want
to get fancy) surrounded by a larger but much thinner sphere of Pu-239
surrounded by a heavy sphere of common U-238
​to be used as a tamper to slow down the expansion and give the chain
reaction more time, ​
surrounded by a
​aluminium ​pusher sphere to even out the implosion, surrounded by a
chemical explosive.

The Pu-239 will become critical first and so compress the U-235 far more
than a chemical explosive alone ever could
​and that ​
greatly increasing the efficiency and more important
​ly​
​ the heat​
,
​ and heat is what what you need ​
if it is to be used as the match to start the fusion reaction in a H-bomb.

If North Korea has reach this point they would't need any additional exotic
material to make a real honest to
​
god Teller-Ulam style H-bomb, just Lithium and deuterium,
and
​
both easy to get. They would need to perform some non-trivial calculations
​figure out a good
way to place the internal components but the Soviets calculated them well
enough in 1961 to set off a ‎57 megatons bomb and they had nothing better
than slide rules
​
to help them.
​
North Korea
​claims they already have a H-bomb, maybe they do but they haven't tested
one, we'd certainly know if they had.​

> ​> ​
> John, help us here.  Do we have any data on Collar’s marvelous new
> instrument?  How often it detects a neutrino?

​I don't have that figure but I do know this new neutrino-matter
interaction that Collar has detected for the first time scales with the
square
the number of neutrons in the nucleus
​ of the target material, he uses
esium
​ (with 88 neutrons)​
 and iodine
​ (with 74)​. And Collar says his new detector might be used for "
non-intrusive nuclear reactor monitoring
​".​

> ​> ​
> As I write this, I get thinking and fear that my one in a trillion
> estimate is crazy optimistic: neutrinos don’t care enough about us to
> interact that often.

​That's OK, a
 typical
​3000 MW ​
nuclear reactor produces
​about ​
​6*
10
​^​
2
​1​
​neutrinos a second (actually ​
anti
​-​
neutrinos
​,​
​but never mind), so if we miss a few no big deal. ​

​

 John K Clark​