[ExI] Aquarium of the Bay Introduces New AR and VR Attractions

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:35:06 UTC 2017

On 15 August 2017 at 01:23, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> Does this mean that when the tech improves a bit we can just do this at home
> and not have to go to the zoo?  The zoo will only then be used by VR makers
> to sell to home audiences - and locals (why do we call them 'audiences' when
> they are watching?).

Yes, in theory.  :)   But businesses make most of their money from
selling other stuff to physical visitors.
Admission price, food, drinks, t-shirts, books, souvenirs, etc. Many
places will be in financial difficulty if people stop visiting in
person.

Of course, people at home would have to pay for the VR episode, like
paying to watch a film at home, but that won't make up for the main
income reduction. And there will also be many free VR episodes
available via the internet.

It will be a significant change for the entertainment / sports
industry if people watch everything via VR at home. If the home VR
experience becomes realistic enough, big stadiums will become
unnecessary.

This is the really important fact about the VR future. If it becomes
good enough, people don't leave home for *anything*!

('Audience' originally meant 'people within hearing range'. The
meaning was extended as other communication systems appeared. e.g.
books, tv, radio, etc.).

BillK