[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 7 15:42:49 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 7:16 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] alpha zero

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

​> ​

DeepMind, the same outfit which made the learning Go program is now claiming they did the same trick with chess.  I don’t know if I believe it (rather I vaguely do not believe it) but it is being reported on a very reliable chess site:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-future-is-here-alphazero-learns-chess

They are claiming that it learned from only the rules of chess in 24 hours.  I just don’t see how it could have mastered the collective human experience over more than 500 years in 24 hours.

If Deep Mind really did this, it’s the most impressive computer learning feat I have ever seen.

>…You're right Spike it's​ simply amazing!

I still haven’t convinced myself it is true.  I think highly of the source that reported it, but they can be fooled.  They played Stockfish, which is a very highly respected program with a lotta lotta programmed-in chess wisdom.  To figure out all that in a day requires some powerful inference activity.  John I am putting myself in the camp of hope it’s true, but estimate 70% chance it isn’t.  I don’t know how the hell they did this if true.

>…​ And if you ever hear that it's starting to treat optimizing computer code as a game then you may be hearing the opening notes of the Singularity. This is big…John K Clark

Sure and is there any reason why we shouldn’t treat code optimization as a game?  It is a clearly-definable goal: we can set the task to give a known outcome, give it a time to beat and a memory allocation to beat, may the best machine win.  It’s one of those new sports I have been yakking about for years, a great example of geek Olympics.

I want robot gymnastics too.  Whooda thunk that would just appear like it has?

http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2017/11/17/atlas-boston-dynamics-robot-backflip-cnntech.cnnmoney

We could have a code-athlon, where the game is to write the best and most efficient code, then let computers play against each other and against humans.