[ExI] Neil Gorsuch

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:26:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> With the current wackiness at the Federal level, one would think you would
> have become a big fan of states’ rights (as opposed to Federal.)  I have.
> Well, OK I always was.  Note that the nomination makes decisions at the
> Federal level, based on the US constitution, which doesn’t say anything
> about euthanasia or cryonics.  If states’ rights prevail, some of the 50
> states will allow euthanasia for cryonics patients.  In that sense this
> nominee is exactly who we want, ja?

That would be awesome, but, with the rampant abuse of the Commerce Clause,
there's basically nothing that's off limits to Federal regulation. Case in
point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich, "a decision by
the United
States Supreme Court
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Supreme_Court> ruling that
under the Commerce Clause <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause>
of the US Constitution <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Constitution>,
Congress <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Congress> may criminalize the
production and use of homegrown cannabis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_%28drug%29> even if states approve
its use for medicinal purposes
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis>".

-Dave