[ExI] Huxley or Orwell - who got it right?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:32:15 UTC 2017

On 5 February 2017 at 04:44, spike  wrote:
> There is a Star Trek episode I vaguely remember from a looooong long time
> ago (I never watched the reruns, so I am relying on childhood memories)
> where Kirk and the crew find a planet somewhere where the inhabitants have
> worked out all the serious problems, found solutions to their most pressing
> issues, had no conflicts with anything in the local cubic parsec, so it was
> a kind of resort planet where there is nothing to do but play.  Kirk was
> puzzled by it all.  He couldn’t find anything to shoot.
>
> Please local Star Trek experts, what was that episode?  The one where Kirk
> finally realizes that such a planet would be cool, no serious problems
> anywhere, inhabitants live long healthy fun lives.  But he really needed to
> go fight something.  He couldn’t fathom a place with nothing to do but play.

It might be -
"This Side of Paradise" is the twenty-fourth episode of the first
season of the original science fiction television series, Star Trek.
It was first broadcast on March 2, 1967, and was repeated on August
10, 1967. The episode was written by D. C. Fontana and Jerry Sohl
(using the pseudonym Nathan Butler), and directed by Ralph Senensky.
The title is taken from the poem "Tiare Tahiti" by Rupert Brooke and
the novel "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Side_of_Paradise_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)>

BillK