[ExI] star trek

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:10:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 11:33 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

​As I get older, I totally get Freud too.  It wasn’t that he was crazy at
all; just a horny bastard.  Well, sure I can relate, but we horny bastards
are people too and should be treated with dignity and respect.

spike
​
​Freud was right about so many things, and wrong about more than that.
When he was right, it was amazing.  When he was wrong, he was extremely
wrong.

But no one has ever challenged his take on humanity:  sex and aggression
are the dominant drives in humans.  The unconscious plays a huge role in
our lives - maybe the largest one by far.  Lately the metaphors are like
this:  the ego is a person riding an elephant, and has a great deal of
control, but when the elephant wants to ignore the rider's direction there
is little that can be done.  These are not from Freudians, btw, but the
ideas are definitely his (and he is getting little credit nowadays - people
are hung up on his wrong ideas, such as oral, anal, Oedipal stages, etc.)

There is evidence that one of Freud's hangups was sex, and that he was
something of a prude, all of which did not seem to influence his theories.

bill w​