[ExI] tumbling pyramids again

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 17 04:08:27 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:25 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] tumbling pyramids again

On Feb 16, 2017 7:49 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

OK now imagine a light shining directly down from above.  The square-down

devices reflect the light four ways, but the triangle-down devices reflect
it only two ways.  The signal return could be detected remotely, which would
indicate the range of h predominant in that sample.  If you run off to the
patent office with the idea, say nice things about me.

I'm late to this conversation,  so I'm going to be brief to catch up.

>…My initial thought was that CG would not be enough,  then spike used a super ball to suggest material dependence…

I had a nerf ball I tried to slice up but so far it was an epic fail.  It deforms under the blade so I haven’t been able to make a good clean cut.  I might try the old nichrome hot wire technique but I don’t have any nichrome.

>…Also,  for the gentle-sims bet for street cred, i posit phi as the magic height. It's magic everywhere else,  why not here too?

If that turns out to be right, I will totally swoon.  Better yet, if it turns out to be right, we will be famous (but not rich, dammit.)  Reasoning: we publish a result like that, the science community will go totally nuts trying to explain why it works.

If anyone knows how to make a closed-foam polyvinyl that would work, I can get my buddy to 3D print us a mold.  Alternative: we can use that expand-o-foam stuff they sell down there at the hardware store, or perhaps bondo body putty.  Or we could make them out of balsa wood (that is the most isotropic wood I know of.)  Other ideas?