[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:04:47 UTC 2017

Hi Stathis,

You obviously know more than I know about how neuro transmitters work.
Thanks for helping me to better understand this type of stuff.

As I said, if what you say is true, then it merely falsifies the
prediction that glutamate is what performs the redness quality we
experience.

That is why I always resort to talking about the "simplified theoretical
world".  In the simplified world, there are only 3 colors: red, green
and white.  And in that simplified world, glutamate has the redness
quality, glycene has the greenness quality, aspartate that has the
whiteness quality, and it is one neuron that binds them all together, so
you can be aware of them all at once.  And for Ben's sake: in this
simplified world there are "red and green signals in the optic nerve"
that can be easily inverted.

The goal is to make a very hard topic a little more simple.  If one can
understand the qualitative theory I'm trying to describe, and how neuro
substitutuion works with no "hard" problems, and how people in such a
simplified world can "eff the ineffable" by properly qualitatively
interpreting abstracted observation knowledge - then they should be able
to apply the same qualitative theory in the more complex real world.
All that is required is to test for, and find, experimentally, in the
real world, what it is that takes the place of glutamate, glycene,
aspartate, and the single neuron binding system.  That job is for the
experimentalists to do, once they understand how to test for it by no
longer being qualia blind (by miss interpreting abstracted observation
information as they all do now) and effing the ineffable by interpreting
what they are observing, qualitatively correctly.

Ben, I don't know if it will help, but I describe the "simplified
theoretical world" in more detail, in this talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHuqZKxtOf4 .  But it may not help if
you believe there are not elemental qualities out of which our brain
builds or paints composite qualitative experiences with.  It sounds like
you and John Clark agree on this?  Do you also, like John, believe that
effing the ineffable is impossible, and thereby, qualia will forever not
be approachable via objective or sharable science?

Brent