[ExI] GOV _ TRUMP

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:50:00 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> He did not get elected because of his views on anything.  He's not a
> statesman nor a politician.  What he is, is an entertainer.  He got by far
> the most press last fall, even in the NYT, and given that name recognition
> is highly important in elections, that may have helped him win.  Clinton
> had name recognition, of course, but much of it was negative and she was
> boring.  Can you think of any case in which Hillary has been entertaining?
>
> Now people seem to want entertainment from everywhere, even including
> outside their phones.  And we may be the world's best at providing
> entertainment. (Granted that much of it is of the hold-your-nose variety).
>
> That he doesn't know what he is doing, or at least  doesn't seem to care
> about tthe consequences of it, does not at all detract from his
> entertainment value.  Actually, the more outrageous he is, the more
> entertainment he provides and the more press he gets, and as we all know,
> negative press rarely hurts anyone. Ask the NYT.
>
> Now when that runs out, when people get tired of his act, we'll see if the
> Repubs will keep him.  He may surprise us yet and be not too bad, though
> that is not my best reckoning.

Like most thinking Americans, I've been struggling to understand the Trump
phenomenon. I don't think it's got anything to do with entertainment value:
I think he's tapped into a large pool of frustrated and angry people by
echoing their concerns and saying he'll fix them. He's seen as a successful
businessman, for some reason, and his lack of government experience is
considered a plus, rather than a hindrance. To date he's produced few
details of his supposed plans, but his faithful supporters believe in him
and likely will attribute his inevitable failure to Democrats and
Washington insiders (fake media, et al) who benefit from the current system.

-Dave